BudgieSoft Econet Management Software
The change in licence conditions affects all users as of July 2000.
The revised conditions have been reprinted here in full for your reference.
- Licence updated in July 2000 as follows:
- Minor rewording to clarify points and make things clearer.
- "BudgieSoft" mostly changed to "Richard Murray" (or 'I').
- Addition of specifics for Try Before You Buy users.
- Addition of support contract exclusion, local law, and intermediary transports.
- Addition of notice on decompilation.
- Important note for Try Before You Buy users:
- The software is available to you for £10 as a special offer, you receive no printed
guide or floppy disc. Therefore when the licence tells what you have bought, it should be
read - for you - as:
- You are buying a license to be able to use the BudgieMgr software (£10).
You do not own the software that you have downloaded.
- I wish for this licence to be unambiguous as much as possible. If you find anything here
that doesn't make sense or seems to contradict itself - please
- When you buy BudgieMgr, you are actually buying two things. You are buying a blank disc
and packaging (approx. £2) and you are buying a license to be able to use the
BudgieMgr software (£13).
You do not own the software supplied on the disc...
[Try Before You Buy users, please read the note above]
- The copyright of the program code, documentation and any other included data is owned by
Richard Murray (also referred to as 'BudgieSoft'). He offers you a non-exclusive license
on the terms of this agreement. If you do not accept these terms, do not use the
- Please note that unlike some, I do not claim copyright over any data created by or passed
through our software.
- Site licence:
- As this is network management software, a site license is implied. You are allowed to use
this software on any machine on your network at any time as applicable. You may run as
many concurrent copies as are required.
- CHANGE TO PREVIOUS LICENCE:
- You are allowed to run this software on any network or networks directly connected
via a bridge or gateway machine.
This does not apply to Internet/ISDN/PSTN connections.
Different networks require another copy of BudgieMgr with the exception of
different networks within the same building (for example a staff network and a users
network, not directly connected).
- You are allowed to make as many copies as necessary for the successful management of your
network (subject to other terms of this licence). You may also run as many concurrent
copies as necessary.
Don't forget to make a backup copy!
- Errors or omissions:
- Whilst BudgieSoft have taken steps to ensure the accuracy of the software and related
information, they do not warrant that the software or any related information will meet
your requirements or be error-free or that the operation of the software will be
uninterrupted or error-free or that defects in the software will be corrected.
- You shall load and use the software at your own risk and in no event will Richard Murray
be liable to you for loss or damage of any kind including lost profits or other
consequential loss arising from your use (or your inability to use) the software, or from
errors or deficiencies in it whether caused by negligence or otherwise arising from any
use of the software in conjunction with any other software program.
- Decompilation: (new)
- You may decompile and fiddle around with this software as much as you want, provided:
This is a rather unusual allowance. However, I learned to code by taking other people's
programs apart and trying to figure out what made them work. I still think it is a very
useful way to learn.
- No third party uses the software
- The software is not demonstrated as 'being representative of the BudgieMgr suite'
- No derivative works are created (ie, you don't figure out how !BudgieMgr works,
and then write your own user editor)
- All modifications are reported to me (including code). Those that I feel are good
may be incorporated into future releases of the product. You will be credited in
the program instructions.
Sourcecodes are available, but a charge will be made. To date, nobody has asked, so if you
would like a copy of the sources (to everything, or just a specific part - as you require)
just make me a reasonable offer.
- Support: (new)
There is no support contract supplied with this software, nor is there an option to
However, it benefits both you and myself to have correctly functioning software. So if
you encounter a problem, please send a detailed description to
firstname.lastname@example.org and I shall look into
For the purposes of this licence, I wish to state that knowledge of a possible problem
does not imply that said problem will be rectified.
You may also send your comments and "wish lists".
- The terms of this license are in lieu of all warranties, conditions, undertakings, terms
and obligations implied by statue, common law, trade usage, course of dealing or
otherwise all of which are hereby excluded to the fullest extent permitted by English law.
- Local law: (new)
- This licence is governed by English law; as applied in the High Court, London.
If your local state/country law prohibits all or some of the terms of this licence, or
the licence being governed by another authority than that which applies directly to you,
then you are not permitted to use this software. If you do use the software, it is totally
at your own risk as a licence cannot be granted to persons in areas where the licence
would not be valid.
- Intermediary transports: (new)
- The disclaimer of liability (above) is also applied to the transport media in between
myself and yourself.
For example, when you download this software to use on your computer; the disclaimer would
None of these services are liable for what I say and do, and neither should they be held
liable. Thus, the disclaimer encompasses them.
- British Telecom
- My ISP
- The company/individual hosting my software
- The Internet backbone services, Cisco systems etc.
- Your ISP
- Your telecommunications provider
- The use of this software is deemed as acceptance of all of the conditions of this licence.
Return to BudgieMgr index page
Copyright © 2000 Richard Murray